POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isoteapot : Re: isoteapot Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isoteapot
From: ABX
Date: 14 Jan 2003 05:31:51
Message: <amo72vsdloua9hc895825p54ljgthcmfva@4ax.com>
On 13 Jan 2003 19:43:49 -0500, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> oh and I forgot, Imho for shapes where calculations are *very* expensive
> (like isosurfaces) we whould use comples shapes to bound them, or even
> hierarchies

you can't ?

> isosurface is bounded with:
>  ..a very complex mesh (10,000 faces[1])
>    ..and this compelx mesh is bounded with simple mesh (100 faces)
>     ..and simple mesh is finaly bounded by box

mesh over mesh? have you actually measured difference between rendering of
square builded from two trinagles and from thousend of triangles?

> [1] - this complex mesh can be builded automaticly

'builded automaticly' means probably tesselation process, are you aware how
good tesselation is complicated? some methods are even patended! tesselation
needs a lot of calculations, too.

> by trace funcion

using 'trace' function you can get points _on_ isosurface but bounding
requires surface _around_ isosurface. moreover 'trace' sends ray to get
intersection, so you probably will need more intersection tests with your
'optimization' than without.

ABX